**Doctor-on-call Cell: 604-800-9923
**Nursing phone #: 604-815-8992
Updated April 20, 2022
COVID VACCINATION UPDATE IN PREGNANCY: CLICK TO FOLLOW LINK
BC CDC update (March 7, 2022):
Any pregnant woman who received their COVID 19 pregnancy or while breastfeeding:
Jan 10, 2022 Squamish General Hospital Update:
We want to assure you that during this time of COVID19, the Squamish General Hospital (SGH) remains a safe place to labour and deliver your baby. Our governing health authority (Vancouver Coastal Health) and SGH put patient safety as a top priority.
The flow of patients through the hospital has been optimized to reduce the risk of virus transmission. We have the medical staff and space in the hospital required to manage your labour & delivery safely.
The following measures have been put in place:
Physical separation of labour & delivery (L&D) ward from the rest of the hospital.
Minimize the number of providers attending your birth.
Appropriate personal protective gear on all health care providers.
All rooms and equipment are fully sanitized between every patient encounter.
Finally, we would like to stress that Vancouver Costal Health and SGH have worked extremely hard to prepare for scenarios in which COVID 19 positive women need care in labour & delivery. We have worked with our Obstetrical and Pediatric colleagues, and consulted guidelines from the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) and the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecology of Canada (SOGC) to create plans and treatment protocols to care for you and your newborn.
Please feel free to talk to any one of the Mountain Maternity doctors about your concerns, and bring us your questions. We understand that the current situation with COVID-19 can feel frightening, but we are working hard to make sure that your health and safety are top priority.
o You can call any of the following for urgent medical advice:
1. Telehealth: 811
2. SGH Maternity: 602-892-6055
3. Mountain Maternity 24/7 Doctor on call: 604-800-9923
Pregnancy AND respiratory symptoms:
- If you are in your third trimester (>= 28 weeks) AND you have respiratory symptoms, please call the Mountain Maternity Doctor on call to arrange an assessment and possible testing for COVID.
- If you are in your first or second trimester with respiratory symptoms the recommendation is the same for the rest of the population. http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/vancouver-coastal-health-statement-on-coronavirus
Labour and Delivery:
Coming to the Hospital:
- Please call the Mountain Maternity doctor on call (604-800-9923) for the usual indications (e.g.in labor, decreased fetal movement, if your water broke, need support, etc.)
- If you have any respiratory symptoms please call SGH Maternity or the Mountain Maternity doctor on call before coming into hospital.
- You will be going through the MAIN ENTRANCE of the hospital, not the emergency room, for assessment. If it is after hours (after 8pm) then you will be redirected to the side door. Clear directions have been posted on the front door of the hospital.
- Measures are in place to keep the obstetrical unit separate from the rest of the hospital as much as possible.
- The hospital continues to be the safest place to have your baby.
We realize there are a lot of unknowns right now, and in the setting of pregnancy this can be especially difficult. The Mountain Maternity group and the entire Squamish Obstetrical team would like to reassure you that the above measures are being put in place to keep you and your family safe. Please refer back to our website for updates regularly. Thank you and we look forward to being with you as you deliver your precious babies!
Another useful link is the RCOG reference for pregnant patients and their families: https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/coronavirus-pregnancy/covid-19-virus-infection-and-pregnancy/
Here is some information about the virus in general as well as self assessment tool.